Thursday, April 17, 2008

72-Hour Kit

Our 72-Hour Kit is larger than our individual emergency kits. I think of the emergency kits as part of the larger whole. Here is what we have:
The whole kit together


The food items:

12 packets of food including oatmeal, pudding, canned meat, cheese and peanut butter crackers, canned fruit cups, ramen, granola bars, trail mix, breakfast bars and more water. We have another two cases of water but they, of course, are not going in the backpack.


Non-food items:

Larger First Aid kit (including water purification tablets) ($10 at Walmart), mess kit, toilet paper, duct tape, cough drops, wind-up flashlight, socks, more flashlights, lighters, camp axe ($6.50 at Walmart), medicine, batteries, hand sanitizer, compass, camp saw (a few dollars at Walmart) and a rope. Many of these things double as my Scout stuff.

The backpack:


Am I missing anything important between the emergency kits and the larger 72-hour kit?

3 comments:

Mom said...

Maybe I missed it, but the 72 hour kit has no mention of clothing. Our ward preparedness specialist suggests sweat pants and sweatshirt. If it's hot out, cut the sweat pant legs off to the knee and make the sweat shirt short sleeved. Since T-shirts don't take up much room, I would just pack that too.

Matthew said...

We have a few items in there but we are working on more clothes. It is harder because Karey does not really have spare maternity clothes. So clothes are our next thing on the list.

Mom said...

And don't forget some extra diapers for Snickerdoodle!

Love, Mom